The Stone Mansion

Project Name: The Stone Mansion
Client/Owner: Azola Inc.
Use: Office
Type: Historic Restoration
Completion Date: December 2007

Built in 1866 by James Wood Tyson, younger brother of Jesse Tyson who built the Cylburn Mansion, Ruscombe (meaning brown hill) was designed by the notable Baltimore architect George Frederick. In 1955, fire gutted the front section and attic. Ruscombe’s interior and exterior deterioration threatened the building’s viability. AZOLA purchased and restored the building for commercial use and listed Ruscombe on the National Register of Historic Places.  The exterior restoration included all of the windows, masonry, and cornice details while the work on the interior included all finishes and infrastructure; repairs to the plaster crown mouldings,  custom reproduction of missing trim, grand stairway, wainscot and cabinetry.